Monday, October 17, 2011

Back to work

During the summer, before leaving for Paris, I worked on a technical editing project for Microsoft via Aquent, one of their vendors. Aquent called me again to work on another editing project for Microsoft that should last at least till the end of the year. I'm really glad that I'll be working with Office.com, the same organization I used to work with in Seattle.

The sent me a Microsoft-approved laptop from Seattle, which was delivered to my apartment by DHL, and they issued me a smart card so that I could log in to the Redmond office with the proper credentials, which I had to pick up at the Paris Microsoft office. So after figuring out how to take the RER C train, which is also known as the spaghetti due to its confusing system, I made the trip out to Issy-les-Moulineaux, a suburb of Paris on the banks of the river Seine, where the headquarters for Microsoft France and Microsoft Europe are located. The offices consist of three buildings that resemble ships' bows and are connected by courtyards, creating the appearance of a trimaran. and were specifically designed to meet Microsoft's needs for "a space that was emblematic of the progressive nature of the technology business, but also one that was highly flexible and functional," according to Arquitectonica, the architectural firm that designed it.


After a few hiccups with setting me up in the MS system, I was finally able to start. How great that I could do this all the way from Paris!